CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Does Anyone Glue Their Plastics to Their Jig Heads? (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=3359)

Spot77 03-04-2017 02:54 PM

Does Anyone Glue Their Plastics to Their Jig Heads?

I usually set up a bunch of Crappie rigs early in the season using small jig heads with tubes or twister tails. Last year I glued the plastic to the metal and spent WAY less time fixing the rig after catching or missing a fish. And since I cast into a lot of structure, it was nice not having the plastic slide around on the jig all the time when brushing up against the trees and piers.

Does anyone have a favorite glue?

I think I used something from Loctite which worked well, but the applicator was messy, unstable and clogged too easily.

Do I need one of these "super glues" or will something else work just as well when dunked in the water a million times?

5th Tuition 03-04-2017 04:54 PM

Good question:
I think there's a gel type glue that some are using. Name? Where to purchase?

5th

Fish Nut 03-05-2017 07:19 AM

From the talks I have attended most are using loctite, Crazy glue or the cheapest knock off they can find. Some have commented on rigging in the boat and the mess it can cause.

Some rig a few baits up the night before the trip on the bench, a much better environment for control. Obviously they have the color and weight dialed in for the most part.

Almost all if the talks I have attended note that glueing the baits helps.

Spot77 03-05-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 22429)
From the talks I have attended most are using loctite, Crazy glue or the cheapest knock off they can find. Some have commented on rigging in the boat and the mess it can cause.

Some rig a few baits up the night before the trip on the bench, a much better environment for control. Obviously they have the color and weight dialed in for the most part.

Almost all if the talks I have attended note that glueing the baits helps.

I definitely set up my stuff ahead of time. I fish from my kayak a lot and the last things I want to do are a:bring more crap on the boat, and b: have to fool with stuff like this while drifting around wasting good fishing time. :cool:

Mako mike 03-06-2017 05:16 PM

I glue them with gorilla glue, no fuss no mess, just a dab will do ya!

Spot77 03-06-2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako mike (Post 22438)
I glue them with gorilla glue, no fuss no mess, just a dab will do ya!

Yeah Gorilla Glue is the ****. I found a Gorilla Glue gel that looks easy to work with and dries fast.

http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-super-glue-gel

longtrav 06-12-2017 10:00 AM

yes, I use the lock tight gel. Works great!

mlag 06-13-2017 05:50 PM

Gorilla Glue Gel. Sold at Ace Hardware

Spot77 06-18-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlag (Post 22632)
Gorilla Glue Gel. Sold at Ace Hardware

That's what I ended up using on the last kayak trip and it worked great.

240 LTS 10-17-2017 06:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Old thread, I know.
Haven't been here in a while.
Hope everyone is doing well.

Sassy shads, BKD's, BA's, small tubes or curl tails, yea, Gorilla Glue or the least expensive 4 packs I can find.
The glue can harden in the little tubes sometimes.
Lids don't always fit tight or so tight you cannot get them back off.

Z-Man ElaZtech plastics are notorious for sliding down the hook shank. They need glue.

I always lay a towel down first before gluing or using Spike it ... now that can be a MESS!!! :eek:

Spike it, I don't typically take it out of the Zip-Loc bag that I keep it in when I open the bottles but that's another thread.