CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   This site needs to make it (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=207)

drichitt 12-01-2009 09:35 AM

This site needs to make it

Did any of you catch my fishing report from Sunday the 29th. Not the detailed one I put here, but the very abbreviated version I put over on TF. Check out the BS comment from Capt Nemo on the releasing fish over 40" issue. WTF was his problem?:mad:

I have been doing my best to let others know about this site. Every time I get a PM from someone about something, I tell them to check out CBAngler.com. Brandon is asleep at the switch in allowing someone make comments like that. Capt Nemo has been on a crusade against Skip's suggestion that we start releasing the bigger fish. Skip has been very clear that it needs to be a personal choice without condemnation from others should you choose not to. I have agreed with Skip on this issue...Don

reeltor 12-01-2009 09:52 AM

Agreed. The whole C/R "red herring" argument did a lot of damage. Don't sweat him Don, he has an agenda.

Baldzilla 12-01-2009 10:36 AM

The whole board over there is in a strange funk. People talk like it has gotten worse, but it has always been crappy, now there are just more people being crappy on it. I've decided I'm going to post fishing reports over there and write a disclaimer like I did in my cabo report about douchebags, not caring what they think etc...it will be the beginning of my fishing reports...

Ravens16 12-01-2009 10:45 AM

I agree a 100% guys
I got banned from the dark side for calling the moderator gay :D
Not that's there anything wrong with that :)

FORWARD THIS WEBSITE ON TO FRIENDS

mlag 12-01-2009 10:50 AM

Agreed. Fishing reports to be reported here only by me. Had enough of the BS over there.....................Mark

B-Faithful 12-01-2009 11:06 AM

I believe my last fishing report was the end of Sept. I will contribute and read over there but I decided that I would share my fishing reports here a while ago. I did it so my photos or reports wouldnt be used against me or become property of someone who shapes public fisheries policy.

I still enjoy the other site for what it is but like the opportunity for growth and support of fellow fisherman here. I think we had as many reports from the T-day weekend over here as the other site. For some reason, a lot of people dont like to share reports there anymore. Hopefully that environment will be different here and we will share reports openly. We dont have to spot burn if you dont want to but I certainly hope everyone feels comfortable posting reports and brag posts here. If someone criticizes another we need tp police it ourselves so that everyone will want to share reports and brag photos. Of course this doesnt mean we cant encourage and teach one another either. Hopefully we can keep a tone of encouragment when we do though.

mdracer 12-01-2009 11:24 AM

So many times I write a new thread, or reply to some else's thread, and just back off because I don't want to ruffle someone's feathers. TF has gone the route of so many other forums. It's a shame. Several years ago Speed Channel had a forum that they just plain had to close down for awhile it became so venement. TF is heading in the same direction. Fishing is supposed to be fun and these forums can be so good if moderated properly. We all have our little perks about fishing subjects and should respect each others perks. Seems anymore on the other board that there is always someone ready to call you out for the most minor of reasons. Hopefully the moderator on this board will stop this non-sense before it really gets going. A few removed posts will send the message fast.

JoeDirt 12-01-2009 11:27 AM

I hate to do this, but I need to voice some disagreement. (Great, just when I was starting to make friends :()

While Capt Nemo was an a-hole with his approach, I agree with the basis of his argument. A few weeks ago, Skip decided to go on a crusade about releasing fish over 40" and most people seemed to follow suit (shocking, I know). Then guys posting reports keeping fish over 40" were scrutinized. It got so stupid that a guy I was fishing with didn't want to post a report indicating that we had caught and kept two fish over 40". The 40" number has no basis and arguments could be made for keeping all bigger fish and releasing smaller one.

Either way, people are entitiled to their opinions but people should also be entitled to post a report without getting nitpicked. Hopefully this will be the venue for that to take place.

Baldzilla 12-01-2009 11:56 AM

The board over there in General sucks...but I will tell you, I have spoken to Capt Nemo a few times over PM in the past and seems to be a good guy. He has helped me out in the past, and it's a shame the post was turned into a fight. It could have been approached from a much better way, or via PM. I have argued with many people via PM and usually it turns out pretty well.

I see the fight from both sides. Being a guy that doesn't keep a fish at all (unless someone on my boat wants it), I wish everyone would release all their fish, but again I fault noone for doing anything that is within the law. I don't care if you keep a 24" fish, or a 50" fish as long as you are doing it legally. I applaud anyone who releases any fish. My problem is that everyone interjects their opinions on that other site and everyone thinks that noone else can be right. Why do so many over there think there has to be a right or wrong? This site is nicer because it is judgement free (for now), let's hope it stays that way.

Mark

drichitt 12-01-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldzilla (Post 1867)
The board over there in General sucks...but I will tell you, I have spoken to Capt Nemo a few times over PM in the past and seems to be a good guy. He has helped me out in the past, and it's a shame the post was turned into a fight. It could have been approached from a much better way, or via PM. I have argued with many people via PM and usually it turns out pretty well.

I see the fight from both sides. Being a guy that doesn't keep a fish at all (unless someone on my boat wants it), I wish everyone would release all their fish, but again I fault noone for doing anything that is within the law. I don't care if you keep a 24" fish, or a 50" fish as long as you are doing it legally. I applaud anyone who releases any fish. My problem is that everyone interjects their opinions on that other site and everyone thinks that noone else can be right. Why do so many over there think there has to be a right or wrong? This site is nicer because it is judgement free (for now), let's hope it stays that way.

Mark

Agreed....but what did I say within my 3 line report that provoked 'Ric' enough to dump on my post? Only good part about it is CBAngler.com got some free advertising and we know he is a lurker here as well:D...Don

mark1234 12-01-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDirt (Post 1865)

Either way, people are entitiled to their opinions but people should also be entitled to post a report without getting nitpicked. Hopefully this will be the venue for that to take place.

Martin, I agree. I'm not positive but I don't think Skip, Don or anyone else intended to condem anyone for keeping fish over 40" I think they were just suggesting the practice. In the end everyone should get to make their own decision and do so free of guilt.

Also, I know I have trouble deciding whether a fish that is still in the water is going to be over 40" or not. If the box is empty it's awfully hard to let them go. Now if I caught more regularily, maybe I would have more confidence in weeding some out. As far as the 40" rule, I don't know were that came from, but how did the state choose 18" or 28"?

Hopefully, everyone here will feel free to post and continue to encourage and helps others.

Now if we could just do something about the gay undertones...:D Not that there is anything wrong with it.

5th Tuition 12-01-2009 12:50 PM

I only post fishing reports here. I will post on the other board if I feel I can help someone by answering a question or by posting about a good business (like I did with Legendary Trailer).
Let's say what happened to Don, happens here. I hope we can handle it in this manner or a similar manner. After someone posts a "inapproprate" reply, we can come back with a post about this site not turning into a BS site; and then LET THE POST DIE. Let it drop right off the first page and be done with it. No need to get out the popcorn box and have a *** for tat battle with someone just trying to be an ahole. 5th (Marty)

drichitt 12-01-2009 12:59 PM

A state of Cum By Ya has returned to TF. Ric and I have made our apologies. Now can we get back to talking about fishing...Don

Hockleyneck 12-01-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drichitt (Post 1877)
A state of Cum By Ya has returned to TF. Ric and I have made our apologies. Now can we get back to talking about fishing...Don

Yea, were are you fishing Wednesday? I have been working my butt off and my last trip out was 2 Sunday's ago.

I am also thinking about moving my boat from Breezy. Do you guys on the South like the area?

swartj 12-01-2009 01:40 PM

Hockleyneck,

I like the area a lot. When I come out of the West River I have about 13 miles to the BB or about the same to Breezy. It is all good water up into Eastern Bay and into the Tank.

My boat stays on its trailer at a marina and the marina has a ramp. I don't know if you keep your boat on a trailer or a slip but send me a PM and I can tell you about a few places there.

der Fischadler 12-01-2009 01:58 PM

Convenient Conservationists

As a casual bystander, here's my take on this topic;
Several of you were very vocal on TF when the pre-season C&R issue was presented. A couple weeks later, the same individuals are posting pictures of dead large cows which were full of roe and would spawn in a couple of months.
It comes across as hypocritical to some. It gives the appearance that certain people only jumped on the C&R bandwagon after they thought that their particular type of pre-season fishing was in jeopardy. Practice what you preach if you don't want to be criticized and lose credibility. For example; don't tell everyone to release all 40" fish and then post a report with a 44" fish that was killed.
I believe that no one should be chastised for posting fishing reports (i.e. do what you want as long as it is legal and moral). However; keep in mind that C&R means more to some people than just some type of regulation, it is a philosophy and approach to fishing that is practiced year round.
Shoot the messenger if you want, but that's the way it looks from my perspective.
Mark

Fish Nut 12-01-2009 02:11 PM

Convenient Conservationists ?

I had to look this up in the Dictionary. All I found was a refrence to the MCBA.

5th Tuition 12-01-2009 02:27 PM

Hey a good chance to practice the new technique. Mark, thanks for your comments. Now let it go (let the thread die). 5th (Marty)

B-Faithful 12-01-2009 03:44 PM

der Fischadler, Thanks for your comments. I always appreciate honesty so positions can be clarified. I think something may have been lost in the whole C&R debate and that is that i believe most fisherman like to be able to keep fish too. I know I do and actually enjoy hunting for the largest fish I can catch. I even enjoy fishing tournaments. To me the C&R debate was about some on the SFAC wanting to reduce or restrict fishing access without scientific justfication. Given that there are known aspects of the fishery, such as the catch and keep seasons, I believe that adjustments to when and how many fish a person keeps should come prior to access reduction/restriction over anecdotal concerns. To me it just makes sense for sound management policies and would have been a bad precedent for DNR to reduce access given the unknowns on C&R and knowns on the keep seasons.

I also believe many recreational anglers believe the practice of catch and release fishing to be a way to sustain the stock and keep access to fisherman open. By preserving the practice of catch and release it at least gives dnr the option to keep fishing open while taken tough measures should they be needed for conservation issues. Lets face it, if C&R is regulated and accepted as a bad practice for sustainability without science, then total access to fishing can be taken away when stonger measures are needed. In my mind sport and recreational fishing is about being able to fish and not how much we can keep. As stated before I dont think keeping fish is wrong when done legally. However the sport is about being able to fish regardless if we can keep 10 per person, 1 per person, or if we have to catch and release to sustain the resource. I believe a sport fishery should be managed so that people have the opportunity to catch a fish, keeping it should be secondary.

While conservation is important or should be to most fisherman, I do believe some that wanted access restricted or reduced during the C&R only season were wanting to do so only to protect Marylands trophy season. Given that there are so many knowns to this season, i do like the term convenient conservationalist to those that supported making C&R the red herring in an attempt to preserve the trophy season. I will say that their positions may have bit them in the butt as they didnt even wait for the DNR to come out with their final position on C&R before asking for an extention of the fall season. While I cannot say for sure, I am sure it helped in DNR not making access restrictions part of their final proposal on the C&R only season.

Again, There is nothing wrong with catch and keep within the law. However, if there is a conservation issue that needs to be addressed through public policy, I believe DNR has an obligation to address it through scientifically known measures and not through reducing access based on anecdotal conerns.

Thanks again for your honest post and I hope you continue to contribute here, Especially fishing reports as that is what many of us here are most ineterested in sharing. :)

ericmagsamen 12-01-2009 04:39 PM

I stopped posting on the main board YEARS ago. No matter what you write someone has to reply with criticism, and some are down right ignorant.

I like what I see here so far.

Slayer 12-01-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drichitt (Post 1877)

Nowhere near me if I can help it!!

DirtyFrank 12-01-2009 05:41 PM

Dirty was here!

In before the lock.

Francis 12-01-2009 06:15 PM

Just don't make a joke about the boat ramps over there. . . :rolleyes:

JoeDirt 12-01-2009 07:03 PM

or give general areas of where you fished...

drichitt 12-01-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by der Fischadler (Post 1880)
As a casual bystander, here's my take on this topic;
Several of you were very vocal on TF when the pre-season C&R issue was presented. A couple weeks later, the same individuals are posting pictures of dead large cows which were full of roe and would spawn in a couple of months.
It comes across as hypocritical to some. It gives the appearance that certain people only jumped on the C&R bandwagon after they thought that their particular type of pre-season fishing was in jeopardy. Practice what you preach if you don't want to be criticized and lose credibility. For example; don't tell everyone to release all 40" fish and then post a report with a 44" fish that was killed.
I believe that no one should be chastised for posting fishing reports (i.e. do what you want as long as it is legal and moral). However; keep in mind that C&R means more to some people than just some type of regulation, it is a philosophy and approach to fishing that is that is practiced year round.
Shoot the messenger if you want, but that's the way it looks from my perspective.
Mark

Mark - Let me very clear about my position so it is not misunderstood as being hypocritical or convenient. I very much enjoy the preseason C&R, and in-season C&R and C&K. I love to catch, kill and eat rock fish when it is legal. I prefer to release the over 40" fish during C&K season, but have no problem with others not doing it; it's a personal preference only and not an agenda item. I am very unhappy about the DNR placing restrictions on preseason C&R, in the name of conservation, when any single day's activity during the Trophy season kills abundantly more fish than all of the preseason C&R activity. I am upset how one man representing approx. 200 members was able to have these restrictions put in place, to protect their precious Trophy season. But again, I like to catch, kill and eat rock fish when it is allowed by law. I am glad to see that you disapprove of others crapping on those who put up legit fishing reports; thanks...Don

Have I pissed you off somewhere in the past?

goinsfishin 12-01-2009 09:22 PM

I've carefully stayed out of all this C&R vs C&K BS on the "other" board......but to clarify for the record:
If it's a legal activity I'll do as I please......
If others disagree.....too bad.
Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one.

ericmagsamen 12-01-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goinsfishin (Post 1922)

Perfect statement!

crabby and son 12-01-2009 10:18 PM

Damn Don...............A senior member already:D...............Gary

garlien 12-01-2009 11:49 PM

I am a lot like Mark, in that I have not kept a single fish I caught this summer (In Bay Waters, a couple of nice ones from Montauck were boarded, a friend is a charter captain there and they were out before I knew it)....

It would be interesting to have a quick poll about who keeps fish and who does not...Also would be fun to know if people kept onl certain type of fish....

So not sure it will take off but I for one keep no fish...I just love the sport...So the beginning of the poll starts off like this...

How many fish do you keep per trip ?

None - 1 (ME)
1 or 2 -
3 to 5 -
6 or more -

Slayer 12-02-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlien (Post 1929)
I am a lot like Mark, in that I have not kept a single fish I caught this summer (In Bay Waters, a couple of nice ones from Montauck were boarded, a friend is a charter captain there and they were out before I knew it)....

It would be interesting to have a quick poll about who keeps fish and who does not...Also would be fun to know if people kept onl certain type of fish....

So not sure it will take off but I for one keep no fish...I just love the sport...So the beginning of the poll starts off like this...

How many fish do you keep per trip ?

None - 1 (ME)
1 or 2 -
3 to 5 -
6 or more -

Not on this board, please.

JoeDirt 12-02-2009 08:53 AM

I agree with Slayer (probably the first and last time I'll say that)

knothard 12-02-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goinsfishin (Post 1922)
I've carefully stayed out of all this C&R vs C&K BS on the "other" board......but to clarify for the record:
If it's a legal activity I'll do as I please......
If others disagree.....too bad.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...Clapping-1.gif By the way, is this legal ? http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/Fishslap.gif

Fish Nut 12-02-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothard (Post 1933)

I have herd concerns about this behavior. I will have to see if it will be addressed at the next meeting.

mdracer 12-02-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayer (Post 1930)
Not on this board, please.

Amen to this.

garlien 12-02-2009 07:38 PM

Damn...Sorry to Slayer and others....Didn't know that was a "hot button"...

Was just wondering...I don't give a rats ass how many fish anyone is lucky enough to catch, keep, mount on a board, or spank....

I just enjoy what I enjoy...A nice day, being out on the water with friends, a cold beer or two, and if I am lucky enough a little bit of pullage... :)

To each his own...

:cool:

5th Tuition 12-02-2009 08:38 PM

Mike no offense taken. It's just that we are trying to keep those "social issues" off this board. We are free to post photo's of bloody fish hung by the lip with a boga (or one of Skip's fish holders) and then flopped into the cooler to be fileted and cooked on the grill until fluffy with a fork. 5th (Marty)

Baldzilla 12-02-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlien (Post 1973)
Damn...Sorry to Slayer and others....Didn't know that was a "hot button"...

Was just wondering...I don't give a rats ass how many fish anyone is lucky enough to catch, keep, mount on a board, or spank....

I just enjoy what I enjoy...A nice day, being out on the water with friends, a cold beer or two, and if I am lucky enough a little bit of pullage... :)

To each his own...

:cool:

Mike,
Don't worry, SLayer's a douche and he just doesnt want it out in public what he does to the fish after he catches them... :D

garlien 12-02-2009 10:30 PM

This will be the perfect place for me then...At heart I really don't give a flying **** what others think... Not a bad guy, just too old now to be worried about life's bull****....

Thanks guys....Maybe when we get our "honey the fishing meeting is tonight" drinking excuse I can ask those kinds of questions without the concern that I am communist....:)

Hey look at the bright side of things today...Tiger's wife is probably going to be on the market soon and she is goin have a lot of cash...