CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Almost Ready (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2485)

5th Tuition 03-11-2014 03:49 PM

Almost Ready

1 Attachment(s)
Spent this afternoon cleaning the winter dirt and grime off the boat:)
Listened to all my favorite songs on ITunes. Great day:)
5th

After I turn it back up off its side, it will be ready to reload with gear:)

Chessie27 03-11-2014 04:14 PM

Dear Jeff wanna be,
I find nothing amusing about a 27 judge laying on it side!! Nothing!! :p

Maybe this year you won't let it sit still long enough to grow some many barnacles you get the idea it easier to scrape if the boat is on its side. :D

Looking good!!

mlag 03-11-2014 04:26 PM

Did the same thing today. Only didn't turn mine on its side:D

5th Tuition 03-11-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlag (Post 17368)
Did the same thing today. Only didn't turn mine on its side:D

Hey, found out the water runs out quicker that way:eek:
5th

Skip 03-11-2014 05:59 PM

Think many are getting cabin fever.

I got it narrowed down to 11 rods - now just need to make final cut to six with one as a spare.

Somehow - the other 14 rods left home will get back at me.

Hoping to try around 20th or so.

5th Tuition 03-11-2014 06:33 PM

For the last couple of years, St Patrick's Day (March 17) was our first day:D. I'm busy that day this year, but should be out soon after.

One thing for sure, I'll beat Don out this year:eek:

5th

Hunter 03-11-2014 09:10 PM

I have a bunch of old chum stains stuck on the stern. Soon as I get that stuff scrapped off I will be ready:D

bhl 03-12-2014 05:16 AM

I'm going in Friday. We still had some ice in the marina last Sunday but it was all slushy. It's going to feel good to be floating again. It's been a long winter. It's gonna be 70 deg today;) , 20 deg tonight:mad:, go figure.

bhl (Bruce)

davem251 03-12-2014 08:12 AM

I have seven rods loaded in the basement and my winter boat projects are nearly complete. Seems like the water is awful cold out there right now, is it worth a try this weekend?

MikeVJ 03-12-2014 11:03 AM

I thought I was the only one going crazy waiting for the cold weather to move out. I've got 8 rods ready to go. 3/4 tank of stabilized gas that I need to burn - the engine is running great on the muffs.

Boat regs/consolidated boat fishing license/insurance done. Just waiting on the dang DMV to mail me my trailer renewal. :mad:

C'mon SPRING... :D

B-Faithful 03-12-2014 11:07 AM

Looks clean Marty.. Mine is going to need a bleach bath when I get it back. My outside water has been shut off and she was put away dirty over the winter. I may have to call in some professionals to clean it :D

Insurance bill came so I know we are close..

I will carry 10 rods for preseason that are pre rigged. I will start with 4 off the boards with 2 deep umbrellas. If I find the bite up high. The umbrellas will go away and run 6 off the boards. I will have 2 extra board rods to mix weight and back ups as necessary.

Fish Nut 03-12-2014 02:34 PM

The Fish nut hibernation is coming to an end. Gathering my filters oil and other goodies to start the spring commissioning….. I’ll hit the water around April 5 -6th for a shakedown. If everything looks good I am headed South.

I am looking at an all slider rig set-up for early spring. running 1oz slider on the umbrellas, which have worked in the past……

bhl 03-12-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 17377)
The Fish nut hibernation is coming to an end. Gathering my filters oil and other goodies to start the spring commissioning….. I’ll hit the water around April 5 -6th for a shakedown. If everything looks good I am headed South.

I am looking at an all slider rig set-up for early spring. running 1oz slider on the umbrellas, which have worked in the past……

I'll second the slider rigs. Early last year there were many jellies. Used on umbrellas or tandems they keep the jellies off.

bhl (Bruce)

Chessie27 03-13-2014 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl (Post 17378)
I'll second the slider rigs. Early last year there were many jellies. Used on umbrellas or tandems they keep the jellies off.

bhl (Bruce)

Would I be correct in assuming this is a 1oz egg weight sliding up and down the rod line above the swivel?
This is why I try to hang around smart people, you can teach me things. :)

bhl 03-13-2014 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chessie27 (Post 17387)
Would I be correct in assuming this is a 1oz egg weight sliding up and down the rod line above the swivel?
This is why I try to hang around smart people, you can teach me things. :)

Same set up as a sea witch you would use for ballyhoo for offshore fishing, just bigger, usually 2 to 4 ounces.
Slider head is shaped like a bullet, has a hole drilled through the center and has hair tied like a parachute and slides above the hook. If I can download a pic later I will try.
OH NO, now you have to throw out all the new lures you just bought :eek:

bhl(Bruce)

5th Tuition 03-13-2014 08:09 AM

Jeff, by using the slider rigs during PSCR we only have to crimp or grind down a trailer hook. We don't "ruin" a whole parachute:D
It also allows me to place the hook just a tad farther behind in the shad to assure better hookups.
As soon as Bruce posts a photo, you will see what I mean.
I could post, but it would probably turn out sideways:eek:
5th

5th Tuition 03-13-2014 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo 1 of slider for Jeff

5th Tuition 03-13-2014 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo 2 of slider for Jeff

bhl 03-13-2014 10:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 17389)
Jeff, by using the slider rigs during PSCR we only have to crimp or grind down a trailer hook. We don't "ruin" a whole parachute:D
It also allows me to place the hook just a tad farther behind in the shad to assure better hookups.
As soon as Bruce posts a photo, you will see what I mean.
I could post, but it would probably turn out sideways:eek:
5th

I'll try to up load pic's of single hook for C+R and stinger set up for regular season. With the single hook, you can thread the eye back into the shad to get the hook further back. The black thread is just for the photo.

bhl (Bruce)

bhl 03-13-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 17391)
Photo 2 of slider for Jeff

Oops, I was posting at the same time you were

bhl (Bruce)

5th Tuition 03-13-2014 10:29 AM

Bruce, looks like great minds think alike. While I was posting, you were posting:D

Jeff, as Bruce said, these are great if winter jellies are a problem. Because there is no "V" where the line connects to a normal parachute, the jellies don't get caught.
You can also see how the hook is set back just a bit farther than a normal parachute. Not as far back as a stinger (don't want to deep hook fish during PSCR), but a happy medium to reduce the number of "pull downs".
The hook is tied directly to the leader line, making it the only thing you need to crimp down or grind down to make it barbless.
They work great trailing umbrellas (or Robs six packs:)). Because we can only pull 6 lines, I tend to put out more umb. and six packs in my spread off the boards to create more action and draw more attention:D
5th

Fish Nut 03-13-2014 12:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a few more pics of the slider. as others have said it is nice in PSCR since you don't have to destroy the lure. They work great on the umbrella rigs. the black head lure is a 1 oz. lure I have had great success with two of these rig on an umbrella 70' back off the boat.

The other is a pic of a 3oz which is rigged in tandem with a 5 oz. slider. The 6 packs are a solid rig as proven by Marty and Captain John.

I had a 6 pack in the spread the last 2 years during the season. I'll have 2 of them in my spread this year.:)

Jeff, I hooked your buddy up with one of the hottest combos on the Carolina.........

I don't know if he let you in on it?

Chessie27 03-13-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl (Post 17388)
OH NO, now you have to throw out all the new lures you just bought :eek:

bhl(Bruce)

I AM getting rid of them all. Just bought a 22'Judge and now I am going strictly LT! You jerks with broomsticks need to stop harassing all the breeders.!! :D

Thanks for all the info in case I come back to the dark side though ?

Tawn 03-13-2014 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm dropping my boat off this Saturday for spring maintenance.

I run at least one blue and white Ilander year round.....hell, it even catches now and then!

Marty, are you ever gonna call about getting together and building you a bait tank?

5th Tuition 03-13-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawn (Post 17403)
Marty, are you ever gonna call about getting together and building you a bait tank?

Sure, Mikes Crabhouse North opens April 1st, so why not have a get together at the bar, and we can put the tank together in the parking lot:D. Just think of all the "suggestions" we will get from drunk CBAnglers:eek:

But seriously, I will get together with you soon (before the season opens). I am busy this Saturday getting fried oysters and pit beef in Grassonville's Amer. Legion.

5th

garlien 03-13-2014 10:25 PM

That was one hell of a BBQ you took me to last year Marty...

Wish I could make it back this year sometime...