CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What do you want from a jighead (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=223)

Francis 12-03-2009 09:28 AM

What do you want from a jighead

Hey guys,
I know there are alot of people on here that troll but I think a fair amount jig too.

In the interest of full disclosure: Before skip sold his planer boards EVERYWHERE in MD I was making and selling a few sets too. Just in my parents basement with crude tools in a space that was too small. I had an order from a tackle shop and had to make several sets in one night. Needless to say, I was not equpiied for it and almost cut off my finger while doing it. It was the end of my career making board for then.

Fast forward to present day. My buddy just moved into a nice house with a basement and we have since acquired lots of tools and good things.

I plan to make a bunch of jigheads and other things and sell them at the shows this winter. not trying to make a killing just trying to pay for a little gas in the boat. And, it's something to do when the Redskins are losing or the caps are winning.

So, we are on our jighead kick right now. I have ultra minnow heads, round heads, two kinds of shad heads, and pregnant minnow heads, all in different sizes. We also have sort of "customized" the molds so they can take smaller hooks than normal. This means on a 2oz head, you can rig up a 5" BA as opposed to most big jigheads that just rip the plastic.

I am flabbergasted at the prices of jigheads. They DO NOT take that much money to make when you find a cheap source of lead and hooks in the thousands or tens of thousands as we have done. Eventually, I will be selling them in bulk unpainted for CHEAP as well as nice painted ones (which I personally think are a waste of money)

As a fisherman, is there something you think you would like that is not on the market? What do you like most about present jigheads, what do you like the least? Do you think color makes a difference?

I am NOT selling anything yet, just getting ready to. . .

knothard 12-03-2009 11:36 AM

i'd like to get my hands on these jigs but in 1.5 and 2 oz. They are perfect for BA's and BKD's as well as many other plastic baits: http://www.cotee.com/Pages/cotee_prod_livEye_1_0.html

Francis 12-03-2009 11:53 AM

Unforunately, the larger head sizes for that mold does not exist. I wanted to purchase the mold to do that as well, but it would have to be a several hundred dollar custom machine job to make it work.

I do have the mold for the larger head sizes in this style which is as similiar to the arrowhead as your looking for:

http://www.do-itmolds.com/images/catalog/shad_head.gif

Francis 12-03-2009 11:54 AM

Sorry-I meant this head. I get my shad heads confused.

http://www.do-itmolds.com/images/cat...yle_9_shad.gif

Slayer 12-03-2009 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the very wide gap hooks that you get with the BA jig heads..and 2 oz (unpainted) is what I have the hardest time finding. Let me know if you make some of these. I'll buy them in bulk!

Attachment 99

Francis 12-03-2009 12:28 PM

Let me take a picture and show you what I have. I am not making them with the super wide gap hooks but am making them larger than normal gap hooks for the 10" BKD's.

Personally, I don't like the extra wide gap hooks. But I can make them that way. Do you like the wide gaps because you think they hook fish better for for big rubbers like the 10"BKD's?

B-Faithful 12-03-2009 12:40 PM

Head shapes dont matter as much as a nice quality hook to me! I have bought jig heads where the hook has straightened on a fight with an average size fish. It is not that the fish or fight was so tough, it was just a cheap hook used

Slayer 12-03-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis (Post 2047)
Let me take a picture and show you what I have. I am not making them with the super wide gap hooks but am making them larger than normal gap hooks for the 10" BKD's.

Personally, I don't like the extra wide gap hooks. But I can make them that way. Do you like the wide gaps because you think they hook fish better for for big rubbers like the 10"BKD's?

I switched to the wide gaps for my 10" bkd's last Spring while targeting the larger rockfish at the usual haunts. I seem to get more hookups using them. I can only theorize why but I think that since the hook is so big, it's more likely to bang into the fishes mouth as he's inhaling it and I feel that tap vibrate up my line. Whether or not that's the case, I don't know but have been sold on them ever since.

My main problem is finding them where I live. I used to be able to get them at boaters world. I can get them online but the price is ridiculous.

Let me know if you decide to make some 2ozs (1 1/2 ozs are workable). No biggie either way.

Francis 12-03-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 2048)
Head shapes dont matter as much as a nice quality hook to me! I have bought jig heads where the hook has straightened on a fight with an average size fish. It is not that the fish or fight was so tough, it was just a cheap hook used

I agree with you Greg. A lot of it does have to do with the hook. We are using saltwater resistant Eagle Claw Hooks right now. They are strong, but are also quite reasonable in price. A lot of the super premium hooks are way too expensive for my tastes. It's something that you are probably going to lose on the bottom after a few hours anyway.

I could certainly make them with the super good hooks but it's not like we're catching tarpon. Just for comparisons sake, the Eagle Claws I am using cost between 1 and 4 cents a piece. The super top notch hooks costs as much as 30 cents a piece. I don't see where some companies get off charging that much!

reeltor 12-03-2009 01:35 PM

I look for a jig head size that will match the plastic without tearing it and it must have a good solid, sharp hook and large eyes. Weights from 1/2 to 2.5 oz and colors to match the plastic and provide a stark contrast. I like contrast in my jig heads/plastics. Shad style and type H heads. Any thoughts on a longer shank hook for larger plastics?

Francis 12-03-2009 01:48 PM

Something that I am doing to keep the work load and price down is keeping the jighead natural color, adding eyes, but then clear coating it. It's actually a pretty jighead and it saves a lot on labor and cost. If you fish with me for any time, you know I never paint my jig heads that I use personally. I think it's a waste.

Kimbro will vouch for me, that I have fished plenty of times side by side with someone using really good looking jigheads and I am smoking them using an unpainted banged up piece of crap. Of course, the opposite is true as well.

I hope to make the 2oz sizes and 2.5oz sizes in both extremely short shank hooks for 5" plastic and big shank hooks for 10" BKD's. In some cases I have to do some things to the mold but it's working well. I do have some style H heads that are big with large hooks.

I sent a couple of you guys B-mails.

goinsfishin 12-03-2009 02:15 PM

I will no longer buy Storm Shads due to the recent repackaging and price increase.....
So for the last 2 months I have been using 1 1/2 oz BKD jigheads with a 10/0 hook and putting 6" shads on them after trimming the head on the shad........the catch rate is the same.....and if the tail wears off or gets bitten off just replace the shad body.

I'd be interested in 1 1/2 oz arrowhead jigs with a large hook and large eyes......will buy in bulk.....PM me when you get a price idea...

Francis 12-03-2009 02:49 PM

Will do. What I will probably do with people who want to buy in bulk with something a little special is make up ONE, and then take pictures/send it to you as a "proof" and then if it's what you're looking for, make a ton for you guys.

I will be able to do special sizes and colors that way.

drewzim 12-03-2009 03:00 PM

The first thing I look at is the hook. I want a good quality SHARP hook with a decent gape to give the point clearance from the bait. Lead is lead, 3/4 oz. is 3/4 oz. Some shapes may sink a little faster or dig in then other but I really don't know if its enough to make a difference. I typically buy the BKD heads from Alltackle since or if I HAVE TO from Anglers in a pinch. They are the best I have found so far. But like you said they can get pricey. I'm with you Francis on the paint job, think it catches more sales then fish. Could be wrong. I have some heads that Paul gave me that Mike Burgess made. Haven't used any yet but the hooks seem on the smallish side.

Baldzilla 12-03-2009 03:48 PM

Doing this from my phone so can't read all the other responses but I primarily jig and here are the problems with the heads I use (I use mike burgesses and I really like them but improvements can be made)
1) shank on hook and hook in general pretty much too small. Gets lost in a 10" bkd
2) can't use them on smaller baits or they tear the plastic (above 1 oz ers)
3) eyes fall off so not real necessary

he uses a great sharp hook though. I'd be interested in whatever you can make especially if these improvements are Inc.
Mark

Francis 12-03-2009 03:48 PM

I really like the small hook for 5" BA's and 6"BKD's but when using a 7" BA, 10" BKD or some other bait, you really need a big hook. I agree.

As I said, I am in the planning stages of this, and want to evidently produce a quality lure that really work for the fisherman but at a realistic price.

At the end of the day, nobody can deny that you're eventually just losing them on the bottom, and breaking them off.

Francis 12-03-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldzilla (Post 2066)
Doing this from my phone so can't read all the other responses but I primarily jig and here are the problems with the heads I use (I use mike burgesses and I really like them but improvements can be made)
1) shank on hook and hook in general pretty much too small. Gets lost in a 10" bkd
2) can't use them on smaller baits or they tear the plastic (above 1 oz ers)
3) eyes fall off so not real necessary

he uses a great sharp hook though. I'd be interested in whatever you can make especially if these improvements are Inc.
Mark

Yeah. I am working on the hook size issue. I think there needs to be one hook for small lures and another hook for bigger lures.

As far as the eyes, I think they're all going to fall off. A jig heads gets a lot of abuse. Trolling baits eyes last a long time but not if you jigged them like you do a jighead (trust me)

I am clear coating the lures after I put on the eyes, and that helps, but, again these things just get used and abused until they're lost on the bottom.

I am going to make up a few prototypes and see how you all like them.

Baldzilla 12-03-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis (Post 2069)
Yeah. I am working on the hook size issue. I think there needs to be one hook for small lures and another hook for bigger lures.

As far as the eyes, I think they're all going to fall off. A jig heads gets a lot of abuse. Trolling baits eyes last a long time but not if you jigged them like you do a jighead (trust me)

I am clear coating the lures after I put on the eyes, and that helps, but, again these things just get used and abused until they're lost on the bottom.

I am going to make up a few prototypes and see how you all like them.

Francis, Love it! Especially with a long shank sharp hook for the 10 inchers! Maybe we can hook up and give them a test run at CBBT!

Bug Guy 12-04-2009 08:19 AM

Francis,
Maybe not something I "want" from a jighead. But something I'd like is to see jig-heads made for specific baits. Here is what I mean - like many I'm sure, I use different size BKD's for different seasons - bigger sizes when big fish are around / smaller when small fish are around...makes sense. However, while I like having similar weight heads, I like to change the length of the hook to match the bait better. I found some heads at BPS that had a longer shank and they worked much better for me this summer/fall when fishing bigger baits than heads with a shorter shank (but same weight). Not sure if I'm making sense about the specifics, but in general, keeping the differences in plastic baits in mind when making them would be useful in my book.
Cheers,
bob

Gitzit 2 12-04-2009 01:47 PM

Francis,
my biggest gripe about jigheads is the "keeper" is usually too big and it ends up splitting the body of the bait...especially if you need a heavier jig with and short bodied bait
it doesn't take a big keeper to keep the bait on the hook....unless you use those Elaztech bodies and then you glue them anyway.

more than most other details i look for sharp, sturdy hooks with a gap large enough to handle the size body i'll be using.

looking forward to your prototypes!

Fishamajig 12-04-2009 04:00 PM

Can you make me some of the SNAG PROOF jig heads in 1 oz, 1.5 oz and 2 oz please?

I'm tired of losing them...

Francis 12-04-2009 05:42 PM

Thanks for the replies guys:

Hook size: I am working with different hooks for jigheads. I am working ewll with getting a small hook on a big head and a bighook on a small head. I think this will be easy to do with only some slight mods to the mold and hook.

Keep width/girth: This is going slow. I agree. A lot of the bigger size heads have very thick keepers which tear the shad. This either requires very cautious and serious modification of the mold $$$$$ or ince the jigheads is make a way to shave down the keeper without losing the shape.

I am experimenting. Right now, have custom molds made is too $$$$ but a dremel does a good job at getting rid of some of the keeper.

Weedless: GOOD LUCK!!

I am working on them this weekend a little. I have to work at my real job all day Saturday but should have some time Sunday to whip a few out. I'll post a few pictures.

Thanks for the help guys!

Shawn Kimbro 12-06-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis (Post 2054)

Kimbro will vouch for me, that I have fished plenty of times side by side with someone using really good looking jigheads and I am smoking them using an unpainted banged up piece of crap. Of course, the opposite is true as well.

Yeah, cause it's usually me you're smoking! On the other hand, you're one hell of a fisherman and since I think sensitivity to the bite is 90% of the battle (at some locations), you could catch them with a head made out of a rusty Natty Boh can.

On the other hand, I think I need every tiny advantage I can get, especially if I'm lucky enough to get out with you and Darrell, which is why I'm a fan of contrasting colors, big eyes, frequent hook sharpening, etc. I dunno if it matters to the fish or not, but it does in my mind which is probably more important.

Bottom line, a good assortment is probably the best route. I've seen first-hand more times than I can count when one color lure will outfish another 10 to 1.

Damn... I need to be fishing instead of working!

JoshKaptur 12-08-2009 04:39 PM

I did not read all the responses so I apologize if I'm repeating something. I want:

1) a strong hook
2) a short shanked, wide gap hook.

I love the action of a 10" BKD more than a 6" BKD. I think the increased action is due to more plastic being behind the hook. This may lead to short strikes, but that's no worry for me... I think short strikes are usually smaller fish.

In my opinion the 2oz BKD jighead is perfect for a 10" BKD. If the same shank length to BKD length ration could be created in a 6" BKD, and still have a wide gap strong hook, it would be my jighead of choice.

Francis 12-08-2009 07:56 PM

Josh,
Here's what I got so far. Below are the same 1.5 ounce jighead with two different hooks. One is a 4/0 saltwater series Eagle Claw. The second is a 7/0. You can see how the bigger one fits the 10" BKD well, while the small hook fits the 5" BA.

I sent you a B-mail also.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/

mburrows 12-08-2009 09:50 PM

Very nice. Let us know when they are available.

Francis 12-08-2009 09:51 PM

They are available. Mark just became my first CB angler customer 10 minutes ago!

Slayer 12-10-2009 04:14 PM

Just got a sampling of the work on these. They are well designed and well made! Putting in an order now!

Check the PM Francis.

Keith

spynet000 12-10-2009 04:54 PM

Francis, I don't think you have enough lead to be pouring all these jigs man:D:D

I've been pouring for almost a year now and am getting sick of it. The trolling baits are more fun, especially when you see them produce first hand. I personally think those eagle claw hooks are too small for the 10 inch BKD but for the price, they will do. I have had other hooks straighten on big fish before but probably my fault for horsing the fish in. I wish someone would make a strong enough hook with a wide gap for the 10 inchers. The owners are good but over a dollar a pop- no thanks. I called Owner and Gamma and they both said they will make me a special hook but I have to buy by the 10,000's:eek::eek:

Francis 12-10-2009 07:47 PM

Dave,
I am using the Eagle Claw 7/0 635's for the big lures. I think they got plenty of gap for the big plastics. What size EC's were you looking at?

I guess there is always some trade off between quality and price. I don't see the extra money worth it.

We got to get together soon and compare ntoes.

spynet000 12-10-2009 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Francis,

Don't get me wrong, those are the best hooks for the $$, especially if you are going to lose them to the bottom of the rips, pilings, etc. But they aren't as sharp as i'd like to see a hook, especially for light tackle. I went out to the shed to compare a couple and you are right, there is plenty of gap in the EC's and they are stronger than the others in its price range but not nearly as sharp out of the box. All in all- that hook is going to be great for what it is... cheap, strong and sharp enough. I'll make up some Owners and we can get Greg to call us in on some birds down the beach and duel it out!:D

Francis 12-10-2009 08:51 PM

Haha there you go!

I agree that the EC's aren't as sharp out of the box as the gama's or owners.

I was thinking the other day I am going to creat a premium line of jigheads. They will be more expensive than the others, but will be designed to use when the fishing is real tough or when there stakes are high. Prototypes to be developed this weekend. . .