CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Light Tackle Talk - Wednesday on KI (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=414)

Shawn Kimbro 02-01-2010 04:42 PM

Light Tackle Talk - Wednesday on KI

Kent Island Light Tackle Discussion - Wednesday
If anyone's interested, I'll be leading a discussion this Wednesday evening at 7:00 PM at the Kent Island MSSA chapter meeting. I have a power point presentation and we'll be talking about light tackle techniques, current winter and projected spring patterns, lure optimization methods, new tackle reviews, and careful catch & release. You don't have to be a MSSA member to attend.

7:00 PM
American Legion Hall
800 Romancoke Rd.
Stevensville, MD 21666

B-Faithful 02-01-2010 04:57 PM

Shawn, I hope to be there.

Spot77 02-01-2010 06:31 PM

Sounds great! Light tackle is all I use (being a freshwater weenie and all)....

Nothing like catching Rockfish on 8lb line.:cool:

Skip 02-01-2010 07:37 PM

Light tackle - that's the 30 lb gear - right ? :D:D

Steve F 02-02-2010 10:43 AM

Just wish it was not so damn far away, I would really like to hear what you have to say. Now don't forget to mention what "Rods" are best to use :D

Shawn Kimbro 02-02-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve F (Post 3855)
Just wish it was not so damn far away, I would really like to hear what you have to say. Now don't forget to mention what "Rods" are best to use :D

I have a couple of things coming up that are closer to you this spring, Steve. Watch for announcements here. Brandon must think I'm talking about him!!

Steve F 02-02-2010 06:48 PM

Shawn, I heard that the Carroll County MSSA is trying to get you to talk that might be doable for me. By the way the WWD are frozen up so no fishing for me for a little while, it was good while it lasted....Your a wanted man Shawn everyone wants to know about your corn colored jig heads :D

powerplay 02-02-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 3843)
Shawn, I hope to be there.

What for it is light tackle not TROLLING. Do you even know what a ltj rod is???? Little skip???:D:D:D:D

powerplay 02-02-2010 07:12 PM

You purchased the trolling only 27 judge. I purchased the multi fishing judge. You need to trade yours in.:D:D:D:D

Skip 02-02-2010 07:57 PM

Believe it or not - I used to be a LT junkie. Was after the IGFA 2lb test records years ago when that opened up. The first couple years - not many guys messed with the ultra light stuff. The record book was wide open. Slowly but surely - guys put some good fish in the book.

It was fun - but I got tired of 1 hour " fights " with mid sized fish , busting off fish , breaking rods , etc.

I still LTJ when it's right - but prefer 2-3 bigger fish then a bunch of mid sized ones.

The real thrill is 80lb gear - 40 lbs of drag. Big fish damn near pull you out of the chair as they tow the boat around. Once you mess with that - light gear just is not the same.

Baldzilla 02-02-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerplay (Post 3868)
What for it is light tackle not TROLLING. Do you even know what a ltj rod is???? Little skip???:D:D:D:D

LMAO!!!!! Jimbo, we need to chat ASAP!!!

Shawn Kimbro 02-02-2010 09:07 PM

Okay, Skip. I can't let that go unchallenged. This would be more fun over a few beers, but what the hell:

You're a heck of a fisherman, I admire and respect you for that because you usually put big fish in the boat. But my philosophy is that - once you refine the process - your chances are just as good on any give day with light tackle. Some times of the year, like right now, it's better. It's cheaper, doesn't require a boat, and isn't so gawd awful boring. I know there are advantages to trolling as well. Some of my best fishing buddies are trollers, but I'm hoping they'll recover. ;)

I personally believe that there are a few light tackle aces fishing now that have as good or better chances of breaking records with the skinny rods than anyone else. The world record striper was caught on light tackle, and the record before that was too. There's no doubt that the average fisherman has a better chance of going out and catching a spring trophy in the Bay by trolling, but there have been some 40 pounders landed already this year on light tackle. Stop by tomorrow night and I'll show you some pictures! :D

Shawn Kimbro 02-02-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve F (Post 3867)
Your a wanted man Shawn everyone wants to know about your corn colored jig heads :D

Wanted by a few bill collectors, maybe! But I'm thinking the fish are getting kinda used to those candy corn jigs. This pattern has been producing pretty good lately. In honor of the Sandy Point thing I call it "Purple Plunge." :D

http://www.mountainsoul.net/purpleplunge

Baldzilla 02-02-2010 10:35 PM

Wish I could make the seminar, but I'll be chasing big cats in the Missouri river tomorrow afternoon!!! (probably fruitless but who cares)

It's all a matter of opinion. I have always seen the desire to perfect a trolling spread and make it work and have learned a lot from a few guys here and there...and it's more relaxing just sitting there driving a boat waiting for a fish to bite...but I have caught way more fish LTJ since I picked it up about a year ago, and much bigger fish. I've consistently caught more fish over 30" in the summer and early fall and WAY more fish over 40" than I ever did trolling and I hold my own trolling pretty well....

something to be said about feeling that tick, tick on the BKD and having to set the hook and feel that rod bend double!!! IMHO nothing more satisfying than a big LTJ fish, and even the smaller ones caught on the broomsticks when the tony's are being trolled put up a helluva fight on light tackle, making a normally boring fish to catch WAY more fun! Even better when it's a tuna, mahi, etc on LT!!!!

Just one feller's opinion...but you'll still see me rolling out there with my 6 rod barbless spread a few times!!! :D

jumbo1 02-03-2010 06:58 AM

Shawn...make sure if I'm in any of your seminar pics that the pics are the same size........:)

Skip 02-03-2010 09:44 AM

Shawn - wish I could make your talk , you do a great job.

I hear you about the light gear - sometimes I wish I had a smaller boat that could get in some shallow/tight areas especially this time of year.

As far as the record - tough fish to land on light gear. It can be done but so much can go wrong when the fight is long.

B-Faithful 02-03-2010 10:15 AM

I will throw some fuel on the fire... World record was caught by a surf fisherman throwing a plug around jetties in NJ with a surf rod during a nor'easter. Next world record will be caught on live bait. It almost fell about 4 times in the last year or two and all heaviest fish have come on eels, spot, or bunker. :D

All fishing is fun and each method poses its own challenges.

mlag 02-03-2010 01:35 PM

Is this the same talk you gave at this time last year about using "planer boards" at the rips?:D.............................Mark

der Fischadler 02-03-2010 03:17 PM

Do they have Beer?

I'm not sure I can sit through a bunch of slides showing SK holding trophy Stripers and be sober at the same time.
And I may still have some funds left in my beer allowance for the week. Ok, what's today, Wednesday? If the snow holds off until Saturday, I'm probably good...

spynet000 02-03-2010 03:33 PM

I actually believe you have a BETTER chance of landing record fish on light tackle and smaller boats than you do open water trolling. ESPECIALLY on the flats. When the big fish are condensed in the rivers and small areas they are much more vulnerable. I will agree with skip, that more things have to go right in order to get the fish into the boat than the big gear...I know I have busted off more big fish at the boat due to being nervous, busted split rings, straightened hooks and line break offs than I want to admit- but thats fishing and the risk you assume by using light tackle. (I wish SOMEONE would make a dang hook that is big enough for striper baits, razor sharp and strong enough not to straighten on big fish) I still believe my Dad and I caught and released the state record striped bass on light tackle almost a year ago, but im probably a bit biased :D

spynet000 02-03-2010 03:40 PM

Shawn,

Wish I could make it but if you come to Carrol County i'll be sure to go. You always put on a great presentation.

Dave

Shawn Kimbro 02-03-2010 05:26 PM

Looks like April 1 for the Carrol County meeting on spring jigging. Also, next month I'll be doing a Careful Catch presentation in DC on Wednesday, March 3. Finally, top-water & jigging at the Pasadena Sportfishing meeting in June.

For those of you who don't come, don't worry - just gives me somebody to rag on at the meetings!

B-Faithful 02-03-2010 10:07 PM

when are the field lessons going to take place :cool:

I hope the talk went well. I had a MarioKart challenge from the kids while my wife attended a meeting.

der Fischadler 02-04-2010 09:06 AM

Last Night's Light Tackle Talk

Shawn gave an excellent presentation to a packed house at the American Legion Hall in Stevensville last night. They had so many people show up they had to go into the next room to get enough chairs for everyone.
It is definitely worth the effort to see his presentation and ask him questions. Once he starts to open up the secret LTJ vault, I was actually surprised at the level of detail he is willing to reveal.
A couple other observations:
The American Legion bar area is really very nice.
Eat some food before going to an event like this.
If you buy a "bucket" of beer you get one (beer) free.
People love to play with Spike-It dye.
If you kiss SK's ring, you get a Candy Corn Jig Head.
His fish pictures are bigger than anyone else's (including Jamie's).
There are Kimbro Groupies (unfortunately, they are mostly scraggly dudes).

Timbo 02-04-2010 09:10 AM

Wish I coulda made it but its 120 mile round trip! Still, it would have been worth it for one of those jigheads! :D

Shawn Kimbro 02-04-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by der Fischadler (Post 3917)
Shawn gave an excellent presentation to a packed house at the American Legion Hall in Stevensville last night. They had so many people show up they had to go into the next room to get enough chairs for everyone.
It is definitely worth the effort to see his presentation and ask him questions. Once he starts to open up the secret LTJ vault, I was actually surprised at the level of detail he is willing to reveal.

Ha ha... the female groupies were waiting in the bar.... I was outnumbered and needed help, but I guess my listserve brethren have short apron strings.....

Thanks to those who came - I was hoping no one would tell Jamie I "minimized" his pictures!

Yup, I cringed every time that spike-it jar came out. The Legionaires are good people, but I still didn't want to buy them a new carpet.

Thanks to Rick for buying the beer last night, and Mark for bringing out some gear to show, and especially to the Kent Island Fishermen. Good folks.

Baldzilla 02-04-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by der Fischadler (Post 3917)

Mark makes me laugh in a sick twisted sort of way...the groupie thing put it over the top, if it had been in Arnold, you could have added drooling to the scraggly

Shawn Kimbro 02-04-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldzilla (Post 3938)
Mark makes me laugh in a sick twisted sort of way...the groupie thing put it over the top, if it had been in Arnold, you could have added drooling to the scraggly

The hilarious "Marks Brothers" comedy duo is cordially invited to kiss my ass. :D

Baldzilla 02-04-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro (Post 3940)
The hilarious "Marks Brothers" comedy duo is cordially invited to kiss my ass. :D

We'll try Shawn, but there appears to be a pretty large line building :)

der Fischadler 02-05-2010 08:55 AM

Show and Tell

Ballszilla; what's this "we" crap?

Shawn also allowed complete strangers to play with (i.e. fondle) his 10" Purple Plunger (known as a BKD to normal people) for the entire evening.

Fish Nut 02-05-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by der Fischadler (Post 3959)

Shawn also allowed complete strangers to play with (i.e. fondle) his 10" Purple Plunger (known as a BKD to normal people) for the entire evening.

LOL ROFL :eek:

Baldzilla 02-05-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

der Fischfondler
I guess I should have phrased it right, "I try", you just phone it in...

Shawn Kimbro 02-05-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

You guys have had purple plunger envy since the first time you peeked while I was pissin' over your gunnels. :D

der Fischadler 02-05-2010 07:44 PM

Gunwales

I'll expect my sidewalk and driveway cleared by noon, so either you or Ballszilla better have a plan.
Good Night and God Bless,
der Fischadler