CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Sewage spill on Patapsco (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=568)

Skip 03-15-2010 11:31 AM

Sewage spill on Patapsco

Seems like a weekly event - yet another big spill on the Patapsco river.
Standard warnings - avoid contact with water , wash off with soap / hot water.

Sad part - it was deep in the Sunpaper - shows how it is so common that it is no longer considered news.

The excuse this time - pumps shut down to avoid damage from snow melt debri.

Blakesdad 03-15-2010 11:41 AM

Nasty.. Just plain nasty...

Memory Maker 03-15-2010 11:43 AM

We need a tee shirt

STOP THE SH!T
SAVE THE BAY

Steve F 03-15-2010 12:45 PM

Skip, did it say where in the river the spill was??? Last time it was up North near Middle Branch, hell I'm getting use to fishing in shi# water:(:(

spynet000 03-15-2010 12:59 PM

We were in the middle branch yesterday... The water looked like chocolate milk.

Hockleyneck 03-15-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spynet000 (Post 5418)
We were in the middle branch yesterday... The water looked like chocolate milk.

I have a feeling more of these incidents will happen with budget shorfalls/cuts. Just like the flush tax going down the toilet, the municipalities will just eat the fines rather than make the improvements. You know s _ _ _ does flow downhill and right into the bay.

spynet000 03-15-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockleyneck (Post 5419)
You know s _ _ _ does flow downhill and right into the bay.

...and right through a band new Honda engine. :eek:

Fish Nut 03-15-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spynet000 (Post 5421)

Honda is just a fancy word for macerator :D

reeltor 03-15-2010 01:53 PM

Thanks for posting Skip. Where was article in the Sun?

B-Faithful 03-15-2010 02:17 PM

awesome! I cannot wait for my kids to swim in the bay this summer :rolleyes:

Skip 03-15-2010 02:34 PM

Reeltor - it is on page #4 - around the region - story #2. Kinda dead center of the page. Reported by Eileen Ambrose.

Report says 30 million gallons :eek: It is diluted sewage - like that makes much differance.:rolleyes:

wino 03-15-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 5428)
Reeltor - it is on page #4 - around the region - story #2. Kinda dead center of the page. Reported by Eileen Ambrose.

Report says 30 million gallons :eek: It is diluted sewage - like that makes much differance.:rolleyes:

Diluted sewage is like 30 million gallons of diareha. We had a open sewer pipe running from Boca Raton into the ocean which has been shut down when they saw the reef and coral were dying.

JigStix 03-15-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 5422)
Honda is just a fancy word for macerator :D

That Sir, is funny!

Hockleyneck 03-15-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spynet000 (Post 5421)

As long as the majority of the sewage is mexican food and draft beer, my Honda just keeps on pumping.:D

hippie 03-16-2010 09:13 AM

I really don't mean to get a little loose in the head but this is BS. A few days it was posted that we can't use type 1 or 2 toilets or discharge treated waste water in to the bay. Doing so could result in a fine of $10,000.00. Now the city or county of Balt. always has spills but yet no fine. This is "big Brother" at work. Since our leader in DC wants to clean up the bay why not pressure him into doing something instead of crying about healthcare.
This does pi$$ me off.

Blakesdad 03-16-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippie (Post 5444)
I really don't mean to get a little loose in the head but this is BS. A few days it was posted that we can't use type 1 or 2 toilets or discharge treated waste water in to the bay. Doing so could result in a fine of $10,000.00. Now the city or county of Balt. always has spills but yet no fine. This is "big Brother" at work. Since our leader in DC wants to clean up the bay why not pressure him into doing something instead of crying about healthcare.
This does pi$$ me off.

Your priorities are completely a$$ backwards, that's why.

Slayer 03-16-2010 10:08 AM

Those weekly sewage spills are being mistaken for JoeDirt bathing in the river.

Oh, almost forgot. :D

5th Tuition 03-16-2010 03:26 PM

If trolling; check your lures for winter jellies, and toilet paper:eek:.
5th (Marty)

Blakesdad 03-17-2010 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 5456)
If trolling; check your lures for winter jellies, and toilet paper:eek:.
5th (Marty)

You forgot about the "elusive" Potomac White Fish;)

hippie 03-17-2010 04:25 PM

Blakesdad, My priorities are correct. The bay concerns me more than any type of Obamacare. My friends are work so it won't pass the House anyway! Good luck

Blakesdad 03-18-2010 05:00 AM

With that stellar logic, I can;t argue with you.:rolleyes:

Bug Guy 03-18-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippie (Post 5444)
This does pi$$ me off.

Actually, there is a lot of desire to prevent these types of spills. The problem is that no one wants to pay the taxes required to build and maintain plants that are large enough to handle the few times when a lot of rain (or whatever) overload mixed sewer systems (remember, many are mixed sewer/stormwater) It's a catch 22 (at least I think that's the phrase) - don't do it, and people say leaders don't care - do care, collect the money for a plant that only really has a use for maybe 20 days a year, and then people say the gov't is wasting money.

Decide what you want and write your gov't leaders.

Cheers,

Bob

reds 03-18-2010 03:22 PM

Apparently the spill is number 78 since 2005. The last three spills from the Patapsco pumping station total 60 million gallons.

http://www.hometownglenburnie.com/ne...+again%0A.html

hippie 03-18-2010 04:09 PM

Why is it that in New York City they were able to clean up both the Hudson and the East rivers? These are exceptionaly clean now and are the number 2 spawning area for stripers on the east coast. Why can they clean those up but yet there is no attempt at the Potapsco River?

In Philly and Camden they cleaned up the Delaware River which now has stripers up at the Navy yards in south Philly.

So what goes in Baltimore? Did everyone just give up and accept the fact that between sewage and Omega Protien catching all the menhaden, that it's a loosing battle? Stripers are down as are crabs, so maybe we already lost the battle. Better days ahead, I hope, Bob

Skip 03-18-2010 09:09 PM

Reds - thanks for posting the link.
I read that and just shook my head. :eek:

Blakesdad 03-18-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippie (Post 5505)
Why is it that in New York City they were able to clean up both the Hudson and the East rivers? These are exceptionaly clean now and are the number 2 spawning area for stripers on the east coast. Why can they clean those up but yet there is no attempt at the Potapsco River?

In Philly and Camden they cleaned up the Delaware River which now has stripers up at the Navy yards in south Philly.

So what goes in Baltimore? Did everyone just give up and accept the fact that between sewage and Omega Protien catching all the menhaden, that it's a loosing battle? Stripers are down as are crabs, so maybe we already lost the battle. Better days ahead, I hope, Bob

The Yankees and Phillies both won World Series !!!!

And the Orioles suck...

Blakesdad 03-22-2010 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippie (Post 5484)
Blakesdad, My priorities are correct. The bay concerns me more than any type of Obamacare. My friends are work so it won't pass the House anyway! Good luck

Your "friends" let you down.....:):):)