CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Don't forget the small shop owner (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=470)

5th Tuition 02-19-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bug Guy (Post 4438)
Where is Clydes...I have a couple reels I need spooled with mono.

Clydes is in Landsdown. Exit 9 off rt695.
Marty's is a great shop as well. I make a couple trips a year because he normally carries all the current tackle that's "catching". Jim makes sure to listen to the local fishermen and he stocks what we need.
I always buy my Dr. Julie Ball calandars from Marty's:D.
5th (Marty)

Skip 02-19-2010 11:43 AM

You did not here this from me :rolleyes:

Almost every local shop will match the big box store prices on rods/reels/lures.
Paying with cash rather then credit card helps too.
It's good when a shop owner knows you by name - they will pass on info that few know about.

Our local shops might not have 100,000 square feet of display the big box stores have - but guess what ?

The items stocked in that 1,000 square foot local store is what you need to catch fish.

mlag 02-19-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapshoot (Post 4443)
I grew up in that area and allways went to Howards. What about the crabcakes and G&M. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Vince

The Mrs. is bringing home crabcakes from G&Ms tonight for dinner!!!

Bug Guy 02-19-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldzilla (Post 4440)
I drive 70 miles round trip to shop at Martys, I'll give Jim my money over anyone else all the time!! In fact, I may have to run by in the next week or so!

Of what little money I have to give out, I've given a large portion of it to Marty's.

crabby and son 02-19-2010 11:42 PM

I don't need any fishing equipment right now but I will stop by Marty's and buy Jim a few beers!!.Isn't that supporting your local tackle shop?...........Gary

btmfshr 02-20-2010 02:12 PM

Marty's for those things you could not get at the shows

Last week at the PSG show I picked up three used rods in good working order and a used rod that needed a tip. Wouldn't you know it, that rod that needed a tip was a perfect match for a rod tip I picked up at Marty's last year when I could not remember the proper size for a rod I was repairing.

I started doing yearly maintenance on the rods I have, and wouldn't you know it, I am out of reel oil. Marty's has Quantum Hot Sauce, which is what I use for reel oil. I ran over this morning and picked some up. I also saw some neat lures on the counter at Marty's. Had I a little more money, I think I would have picked up a few of them. Afterall, lures are made to catch fisherman, not necessarily fish.