CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Outboard Motor Oil (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=512)

trapshoot 03-02-2010 01:16 PM

Silverspoon,

I heard that you are a amsoil rep. Can we get thier products from you?

Vince

Spot77 03-02-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 4916)
Steve; Rob is correct; we are running two stroke motors. I always ran yammalube in her, but it was getting harder to find. When you went into a store, most of the shelf was dedicated to 4 stroke oil. When I did find 2 stroke, often they would be out of gallons and only have quarts.
I switched to Quicksilver Premium Plus because it was always accessible at BPS. It always went on sale in the spring and I could grab two cases to last me the summer.
Last year, only the Premium (not the plus) was on sale; and now this year, it looks like none of it is going to be on sale.
If everything works out, I may have a lead on some yamalube to get me through this season (cross your fingers for BOTH of us), as someone on the board may be getting a new ride with a 4 stroke (sweet).
Best of luck to him, and I can take some old oil off his hands.
5th (Marty)

Fairwinds in Cape St Claire has a pretty good bit of Yamalube in gallons; I picked up a gallon a few days ago...probably 35 minutes away from you though.

Usually their price is fair.

5th Tuition 03-02-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spot77 (Post 4931)
Fairwinds in Cape St Claire has a pretty good bit of Yamalube in gallons; I picked up a gallon a few days ago...probably 35 minutes away from you though.

Usually their price is fair.

Spot77; Thanks for the information. I have made that run when my other suppliers dried up. I used to get yammalube from Florida Marine but they went out of business, Then AM/PM stocked mostly 4 stroke oil with only a limited supply of 2 stroke oil. Whenever I was desperate, I went to Fairwinds to buy a couple gallons.
Last year, I switched to the Quicksilver Platinum and it worked out just fine when I bought two cases (12 gallons).
I appreciate the comeback and information.
5th (Marty)

paxfish 03-03-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverspoon (Post 4928)
iam going tyo try amsoil,2stroke oil this year.i've been using there 4 stroke for a few years now and it works real well. i was told the 2 stroke oil will not smoke or smell as much [two stroke high]. anyone know if that is true.:eek:

Maybe, but Amsoil didn't used to be certified. Not sure if they have done it recently.

I use Pennzoil Full Syn in my Yammy HPDI - $24/gallon at Wally World.

Spot77 03-03-2010 08:09 PM

I've run Yamalube through my 1993 Yamaha 85hp since I bought it in 2005 and had no problems at all...in fact I'd say it performs most excellent.

I did use some Quicksilver Premium this past summer since i was in a bind and that was all that was available. I didn't notice any changes in temp, rpm's vs speed, etc, but maybe a few quarts isn't enough to make a difference?

I'll probably stick with the Yamalube as much as possible. It's been good to me, so I'll stay loyal to it.

I always add a few drops of Ring Free too.

PhilK999 03-04-2010 05:11 PM

Marty which side of town do you live on. Beacon Light in Bowleys Quarters usually stocks Yamalube & Ringfree and has pretty good pricing especially if you buy enough to last the season in one shot.

My marina gives slip holders a good break too, not quite as good a price as Beacon Light does in quantity but close enough I don't go to Beacon Light just to save travel time.

5th Tuition 03-04-2010 09:25 PM

Phil; thanks for the info about Beacon Light. If my "source" doesn't come through, I'll check them out.
It's a "win/win" for both of us if he gets his new ride:D.
5th (Marty)

terpheels 03-06-2010 01:55 PM

Skip and others fwiw...Thornes Marine down here on the ES sells Merc Premium Plus 4 $20 a gallon bulk, just bring your own jugs. Just got 2 gal this morning.